Durham woman unharmed after home riddled by gunfire
Posted March 23, 2016
Durham, N.C. — A Durham woman said she is lucky to be alive after at least nine bullets were fired into her Melbourne Street home early Wednesday morning.
The retired city employee, who asked not to be identified, said the drive-by shooting left her shaken, and she has no idea why someone would target her home.
"Mostly all night, there was a lot of shooting going on," the woman said, noting that the gunfire was nearby but stopped around 11 p.m. Tuesday.
At about 3:45 a.m., she said, she was awakened by more gunfire, this time much closer.
"Something just said roll off the bed because it was so close," she said.
Several bullets entered her home – some just inches from where she had been sleeping. A mirror and some windows of her home were shattered, and the bathtub faucet was blown off the wall.
"I was terrified. I was shaking and everything," she said.
Durham police and Durham County deputies have investigated several drive-by shootings in recent weeks. Bystanders ranging in age from 18 months to 78 years old were hit in those shootings.
Police haven't said if the latest case was random, but the woman said she has no idea why someone would shoot at her home.
"Right now, I'm packing up trying to get out for a couple of days because this one was too close for comfort," she said. "God was with me on this one."