Durham, Wake set dates for kindergarten countdown events
Posted July 22, 2015
Updated July 23, 2015
Wake and Durham schools are offering some special events next month to help rising kindergartners get ready for big kid school.
The free events offer kids a chance to take part in activities that will help get them ready for kindergarten. School representatives also will be on hand to answer questions from parents.
These are fun ways to mark the big step to school. I'll be at the Wake County event with my little one (cue the tears!).
Here's what's scheduled:
Durham's Countdown to Kindergarten is 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Aug. 7, at the Museum of Life and Science in Durham. The free event is for rising Durham Public Schools' kindergarten children and their parents.
During the events, participants can
- Tour the museum’s exhibits
- Ride a school bus and learn about bus safety
- Learn about school lunch programs
- Meet UNC-TV characters and Ready Eddy, the transition to kindergarten mascot
- Complete lunch, bus and other applications
- Check out the DPS before and after school care programs
- Get school calendars and other information
- Sign up for a library card and learn more about free resources
In Wake County, the Kick-Off to Kindergarten at Marbles Kids Museum is 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Aug. 22. The free event is for rising kindergartners headed to traditional calendar schools and their families. (A program for year-round students was held in June).
Activities usually include a chance to hop on a school bus; play some recess games; walk through a pretend lunch line; explore with kindergarten science fun; and sign up for a library card. For parents, there will be information to support your child's school success.