Durham's Southern High School evacuated after gas leak
Posted November 4, 2015
Durham, N.C. — Students at Durham's Southern High School were evacuated Wednesday morning after a gas leak was detected in the building, school officials said.
The school was evacuated at about 8:30 a.m., and students returned to class at about 10 a.m., spokeswoman Chrissy Deal said.
The source of the gas leak was located and the building was cleared using fans, Deal said.
Students were held in the football stadium while emergency crews sought to find and repair the leak.
According to Deal, it was a student who first reported smelling gas. No one reported getting sick from the fumes.