Durham restaurant reopens after kitchen fire
Posted April 29, 2016
Durham, N.C. — Bullock's BBQ opened its doors Friday for the first time in a little more than a week after a fire forced the restaurant to close its doors.
Tommy Bullock’s family opened the restaurant in 1952. Over the years it’s become a culinary landmark, a go-to place for generations of families.
“I don’t have the words to explain to you the heartfelt thanks I feel for these customers patronizing this restaurant,” Bullock said.
Last week, a kitchen fire temporarily shut down the popular eatery, forcing regular customers to dine elsewhere.
“We know the waitresses, always the same waitresses,” said Warren Faircloth. “ We enjoy coming. It feels like its home.”
The Bullocks’ credit everyone from the firefighters to the dedicated staff for getting the restaurant back open within days of the fire.
“You think about people that aren’t working, people that have built their lives around this business, so it was really sad,” said Valerie Potter. “Now I’m excited.”