Durham Public Schools superintendent announces plans to retire
Posted April 3
Durham, N.C. — Durham Public Schools Superintendent Bert L'Homme issued a statement Monday announcing that he plans to retire effective Aug. 4.
"We have made good progress in the last three years, and I had hoped to continue that work and complete my contract in 2020. But the landscape of public education in our state and nation is shifting dramatically. In January, I realized that I likely will not have the physical or mental energy to respond to those challenges, while at the same time dramatically accelerating our academic growth, for the duration of my contract," he said.
L'Homme was selected as the superintendent in 2014. He was previously the superintendent of Catholic schools for the Archdiocese of Washington.
"The next superintendent will find that our team has laid a strong foundation for achieving greater success. We have strong principal leadership, committed teachers and staff, fiscal integrity and transparency, stability in the district office, and academic growth. Our board, staff and community have come together to foster greater equity among our students and schools, especially as demonstrated by the Code of Student Conduct Task Force’s work and all that has followed," the statement said.
"It is hard to retire when the job’s not yet done. But in a progressive community such as Durham that stands for every child without exception, I have no doubt that the next superintendent will build on those accomplishments and move DPS into a great future."
L'Homme received his Ph.D in special education/public school administration and bachelors in secondary education/psychology and history from the University of Maryland, and a M.Ed in K-12 special education/emotional disturbance from American University.