Kids can swim and splash for free this summer at Durham Parks and Recreation's pools and spraygrounds.
New this year when the facilities open for the season: Kids ages 0 to 18 are free. Spraygrounds open for the season on Friday and will remain open through the end of September. The city's outdoor pools will be open June 9 through Aug. 16.
Here's the schedule:
Spraygrounds: Open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., starting May 26
- East End Park, 1200 N. Alston Avenue
- Edison Johnson, 500 W. Murray Avenue
- Forest Hills, 1639 University Drive
- Hillside Sprayground, 1221 Sawyer Street (Hillside is open during operational pool hours from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., weekdays, and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., weekends).
Outdoor Pools: Open June 9
- Long Meadow Pool: 917 Liberty Street, 3 p.m .to 7 p.m., weekdays, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., weekends
- Forest Hills Pool: 1639 University Drive, 9 a.m. to noon, Monday, Wednesday and Friday; 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday; 1 p.m. to 5 p..m., weekends.
- Hillside Pool and Sprayground: 1221 Sawyer St. 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., weekdays, and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., weekends.
Durham also will offer free admission to all from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., Mondays, at Long Meadow Pool; 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesdays, at Forest Hills Pool; and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., Wednesdays at Hillside Pool and Sprayground. Durham Parks' website has more information about fees.
Our public pools database lists all of the public pools and spraygrounds in the region.