Durham man digs up live cannonball
Posted July 3, 2013
Durham, N.C. — A Durham County bomb squad defused a cannonball Monday that a man dug up last month while doing landscaping work in his yard, authorities said.
The man found the cannonball June 16 and decided later to take it to an antique dealer in Hillsborough, said Deputy Paul Sherwin, spokesman for the Durham County Sheriff's Office. The dealer ordered him out of the store and told him to call authorities, saying the cannonball could be live ordnance.
Sherwin said the man, who lives in the 2700 block of West Main Street, called deputies Monday about the cannonball. A bomb squad moved it to a safe location, where they blew it apart with a small explosive charge, he said.
Lt. Anthony Prignano, the commander of the Hazardous Devices Unit, said the cannonball, which was filled with black powder and therefore posed a risk, weighed about 6 pounds and dated to the Civil War era.