Local News

Durham house fire started by heat lamp

Posted February 5, 2014

Map Marker  Find News Near Me


— A fire that heavily damaged a Durham home and killed three pets Wednesday afternoon was started when a heat lamp was knocked of a reptile terrarium, fire officials said.

Durham firefighters responded to the blaze at 5808 Walnut Cove Drive after a neighbor called 911 to report flames coming from the two-story home.

Durham Deputy Fire Chief Chris Iannuzzi said the heat lamp ignited combustible materials after it was knocked off the terrerarium in a bedroom. The two adults and two children who lived at the residence were not home, but their two cats and a lizard died.

The bedroom and the kitchen were destroyed, and there was severe heat and smoke damage to the entire house, Iannuzzi said.

Red Cross is providing assistance to the family.

Twenty-five firefighters, including three from the Parkwood Volunteer Fire Department, responded to the call.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • exador7 Feb 6, 2014

    Poor kittys... Lizard ain't no pet.

  • JustOneGodLessThanU Feb 6, 2014