Durham firefighters rescue boy from burning house
Posted September 9, 2011
Durham, N.C. — Durham firefighters rescued a 12-year-old boy from a burning house early Friday. Four others inside the house escaped.
Emergency crews responded to 219 N. Maple St. around 1:20 a.m. Five people were inside when the fire started – three adults, a 12-year-old boy and an infant, according to the fire department.
Firefighters found the boy inside the home with burns. They took him to Duke University Hospital and then transferred him to the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center. His condition was not released.
Two adults were also taken to a local hospital – one who suffered cuts and another who had an asthma attack, fire officials said. No firefighters were injured.
Deputy fire chief Dan Curia said he thinks the fire started in or around the dining room, but he's not sure what caused it. No other information was released.