Local News

Durham Fire Ruled an Accident

Posted April 21, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Fire investigators ruled a Saturday morning blaze in Durham was accidental.

The fire at an apartment complex in the 1500 block of Wabash Street started in the kitchen of unit C, possibly from something left unattended on the stove, investigator Jody Morton said Monday.

The fire broke out around 3:15 a.m., and firefighters encountered heavy smoke throughout the building when they arrived. Crews had the blaze controlled and began to clear the scene by 4:40 a.m. One building, containing eight apartments, was damaged.

Three people, including one who jumped from a second-story window, were treated at Duke University Hospital and released.

The fire displaced six people, and the Red Cross was helping them find housing.

Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all