Durham County investigates possible arson
Posted March 25, 2013
Durham, N.C. — Durham County investigators asked for the public's help Monday regarding a suspicious fire last week that destroyed an abandoned mobile home and damaged nearby buildings.
The Redwood Volunteer Fire Department responded to 3417 Cheek Road shortly before 9 p.m. on March 20 after a neighbor called 911 to report that a vacant mobile home was on fire. No one was hurt in the fire.
After firefighters extinguished the flames, they asked for a Durham County Sheriff’s Office arson investigator to respond to the scene because some aspects of the blaze appeared suspicious, authorities said.
“Several men with flashlights were seen near the trailer only minutes before the fire started,” Detective Jon Helsius, the lead investigator on the case, said in a statement. “While I’m not prepared to call it an arson, the fire is definitely suspicious, and I would like to speak with anyone who might have information about the identities of the men seen at the location or how the fire started.”
Anyone with information about the fire is asked to call Helsius at 919-560-0880 or Durham Crime Stoppers at 919-683-1200.