Durham boy hit by SUV dies
Posted April 25, 2013
Durham, N.C. — A 9-year-old boy hit last weekend by an SUV in the 700 block of Liberty Street in Durham has died, police said Thursday.
Police say Nicholas Warren was walking to a store with his mother and family friends when he ran out in front of the SUV and was hit.
He died at WakeMed in Raleigh, where he had been in critical condition since the accident. Family friends said he underwent several surgeries.
Investigators said no charges are anticipated against the driver.
Family friend Lorena Manzilla was with Nicholas when the SUV struck him.
“It all happened so fast, very fast,” she said Tuesday. “The last time I saw him he was beside me. He was beside me, and we were OK.”
Then, she heard “a hit,” Manzilla said, and Nicholas’s mother started “going crazy.”
“We ran across the street. He was lying there,” she said. “He was bleeding. His leg was broken. He didn’t react.”
At the hospital, Manzilla said, doctors told the family they weren’t sure the boy would survive. Family and friends prayed for Nicholas.
Manzilla said, at one point, she asked his mother how she could help.
“She said, ‘I don’t want anything,’” Manzilla said. “’I just want my baby.’”