Duke lacrosse accuser's murder trial could be delayed
Posted November 6, 2013
Updated November 7, 2013
Durham, N.C. — An attorney for Crystal Mangum, who is charged in the 2011 death of her boyfriend, said Thursday he hopes to delay the trial.
Mangum's trial is scheduled to begin next week with jury selection on Tuesday. Her attorney plans to file a motion to continue so they can challenge the medical examiner's report and conclusions.
The State Bureau of Investigation has opened a review of Dr. Clay Nichols, the state’s deputy chief medical examiner, related to work he did on another case. Mangum's lawyers may be trying to leverage that.
Mangum, 34, is charged in the April 2011 death of Reginald Daye, 46, who was stabbed with a kitchen knife during an argument at his Durham apartment, police said. She claims she stabbed him in self defense and alleges it was a case of domestic violence.
The couple had been dating for about a month at the time of his death.
Mangum is most known for her March 2006 claim that three players on the Duke lacrosse team trapped her inside a bathroom at 610 N. Buchanan Blvd., where she was performing as a stripper at a team party, and raped and sexually assaulted her.
Her story about the incident was so inconsistent that Attorney General Roy Cooper later declared the players innocent, saying there was no credible evidence against them.