Duke applications set record for sixth straight year
Posted January 17, 2013
Updated January 19, 2013
Durham, N.C. — The number of applicants to Duke University has set a record for the sixth year in a row, administrators said Thursday.
More than 31,750 high school seniors have submitted applications to be admitted to Duke in the fall. The number is a slight increase over last year and marks a 56 percent increase in the last five years.
Duke has about 1,700 spaces for its incoming class and has already accepted 753 students through its early decision process.
“It’s always gratifying to see the number of students who are interested in becoming part of the Duke community,” Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Christoph Guttentag said. “And reading applications never becomes old. Every applicant is unique, and virtually everyone has accomplishments that reflect deep commitment, honest enthusiasm and a true love of learning.”
Of the total number of applicants, 25,616 have applied to the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, while 5,949 have applied to the Pratt School of Engineering.
The final number of applicants is expected to increase, Guttentag said.
The greatest growth among applicants in recent years has been from the West Coast and overseas, primarily China.
The applicant pool is almost evenly split among women and men. Among minority students, the greatest increases were among African-American and Native American students.
Admissions decisions will be made available to applicants online in early April.