Drug, prostitution operations net 41 arrests in Durham
Posted September 17, 2014
Durham, N.C. — More than 225 pounds of marijuana, 162 grams of heroin, 49 grams of cocaine, $160,000 in cash, three handguns and other items were seized in drug and prostitution operations by Durham police that also netted 41 arrests, the department announced Wednesday.
One effort was "Operation Bull City Intercept," which was conducted by Durham police and 10 other law enforcement agencies last week to focus on illegal drug trafficking through Durham.
The following arrests were made:
- Damone Lindsey, 26, and Maxwell Reed, 31, both of Hampton, Va., were stopped on Interstate 85 South near Hillandale Road. Both were charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, carrying a concealed weapon and simple possession of marijuana. A third person in the vehicle – Kimberly Pitts, 24, of Newport News, Va. – was charged with carrying a concealed weapon and simple possession of marijuana. Officers confiscated marijuana, cash and a .40-caliber handgun.
- Parrish Bruton, 47, of Willow Creek, Calif., was stopped on Interstate 85 near N.C. Highway 147 and charged with possession of marijuana with intent to sell or deliver and maintaining a vehicle for the sale or delivery of controlled substances. Officers confiscated marijuana and cash.
- Ousman Sonko, 27, of Raleigh, was stopped on Interstate 85 near Cole Mill Road and arrested on multiple fraud charges. Officers confiscated numerous gift cards, a card reader/writer, a laptop and multiple cell phones. Sonko is also being held on an immigration detainer.
- Carlos Marte, 25, Miguel Vergara Jr., 26, and Claudio G. Mejias, 30, all of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Jackeline Pagan, 37, of Bronx, N.Y., were stopped on Interstate 85 near Cole Mill Road. All were charged with trafficking heroin and cocaine, conspiring to traffic controlled substances and possession of heroin and cocaine with the intent to sell or deliver. Officers confiscated 162.8 grams of heroin and 49.2 grams of cocaine.
- Miguela Figueroa, 53, and Vivian Otero, 53, both of Brooklyn, N.Y., were stopped on Interstate 85 near Sparger Road and charged with two counts of trafficking marijuana, one count of possession of marijuana with the intent to sell or deliver, felony conspiracy and maintaining a vehicle for the sale or delivery of controlled substances. Investigators recovered 225 pounds of marijuana and cash.
- Chad Holden, 28, of Wake Forest, was arrested on Avondale Drive and charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and carrying a concealed weapon.
- Antonio Holloway, 25, of Durham, was stopped on Interstate 85 and charged with possession of a stolen firearm. Officers recovered a 9-millimeter handgun.
- Christian Diaz, 18, of Huntersville, was arrested on Interstate 85 near Cole Mill Road and charged with possession of marijuana with the intent to sell or deliver. Officers confiscated cash and marijuana.
Investigators also announced arrests in other drug and prostitution operations:
- Michael Myatt, 54, and Billy Johnson, 53, both of Durham, were arrested after a long-term operation and charged with numerous felony drug charges, including heroin trafficking.
- In a prostitution sting operation, five women and six men were arrested and charged with solicitation for prostitution. Arrests were made in the areas of Holloway Street and North Hyde Park Avenue, Liberty Street and Railroad Street, Railroad Street and Eva Street, the 600 block of Driver Street, Holloway Street and Guthrie Avenue, Alston Avenue and Gilbert Street, Angier Avenue and North Hyde Park Avenue, the 2100 block of Angier Avenue, Alston Avenue and Wall Street and Linwood Avenue and Colfax Street.
- Fourteen people were arrested during a buy-bust drug operation and charged with a total of 36 felonies and four misdemeanors. Officers confiscated crack cocaine, powdered cocaine, marijuana and methadone during the operation. Arrests were made in the areas of the 2800 block of Crest Street, the 1100 block of Lowry Avenue, the 1000 block of Sherwood Drive, Angier Avenue and Elm Street, the 2100 block of Broad Street, the 900 block of East Main Street, the 900 block of Waring Street, the 3700 block of Wiggins Street and the 1300 and 1400 blocks of Wabash Street.