@NCCapitol

@NCCapitol

Drivers education funding could return

Posted August 27, 2015

Drivers ed suspended

— House and Senate budget negotiators said Thursday they're talking about continuing some level of state funding for driver's education programs in North Carolina high schools.

Driver's education funding has been dwindling since 2012. Last year, it was $26 million statewide. House budget writers extended that funding for 2015-16 in their spending plan, but both the Senate and Gov. Pat McCrory proposed zeroing it out.

The continuing resolutions under which the state has been operating since June 30 due to the budget impasse have not included any funding for driver's education, leaving school districts scrambling for alternative funding and driving schools at risk of closing their doors.

Senate leaders have been sharply critical of the program. Citing the high number of students who take the course but fail their driver's license exam at least once, they've argued that it doesn't accomplish its goal and therefore isn't a good use of taxpayer dollars.

Under current law, drivers under 18 must complete driver's education in order to qualify for a license. Senate leaders had proposed repealing that requirement and substituting more supervised practice time behind the wheel instead.

Thursday morning, senior budget chairman Sen. Harry Brown, R-Onslow, said the Senate is now in talks with the House to put some money back into the program, at least for the current school year.

House leaders confirmed those negotiations Thursday afternoon at a news conference.

Rep. Linda Johnson, R-Cabarrus, has been the House's chief proponent for driver's ed funding. She said a new report shows the course could be overhauled to make better use of technology, potentially with an online component, to prepare students to pass the license test.

"We're looking at studying that report and seeing what is the right steps to ensure that we don't – that we teach our children how to be safe drivers," Johnson said. "We know that equates to lives, and we want to make sure we make the right decision, and I think they’re agreeing with us on that. We’re still in early negotiations, but we believe there is room for us to come up with a solution for our teen drivers."

"If that doesn't convince them enough," added House Speaker Tim Moore, "they're welcome to ride with my 15-year-old, who has his permit now. That should be all they need."

4 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Terry Lightfoot Aug 31, 2015
    user avatar

    View quoted thread


    That's the dumbest statement I've read this week...it's not a right, but if you want a High School student to function in Wake County, then they need a drivers license- NO mass transit, sub divisions that are spokes on the downtown wheel, drive to sports practice, drive to jobs, drive to school, etc. etc. Think City buses can meet their schedule needs? Laughable- like it or not - Raleigh and Wake County is driving central. Also - I'd like to see our esteemed legislators pass both the written and driving test their first time - now that would be entertaining to watch!

  • Jack Harris Aug 28, 2015
    user avatar

    Maybe this is what the Brown want's to do with the sales tax money from the county's that he is trying to steal??

  • Dolly Butler Aug 27, 2015
    user avatar

    Rodney, what does teaching Drivers Ed have to do with the privilege of driving and paying for the Course ....what other Courses do you want students to pay for?
    Do you really want a lot of teen-agers who have NOT had Drivers Ed on the highways you are driving on. Please ...think it thru ...you are not making wise statements

  • Rodney Hill Aug 27, 2015
    user avatar

    Driving is a privilege, not a right. Why can't teenagers pay for their own D.E. course?