DOT crews continue to set up 'Fortify' lanes on I-440
Posted January 17, 2014
Raleigh, N.C. — Department of Transportation officials said Friday that work crews are continuing to work on lane closures on Interstate 440 – between Interstate 40 and U.S. Highway 64/264 – and hope to have more permanent lane closures installed within the next two weeks.
Work on the Fortify project began in December, with lanes reduced between the I-40/I-40 interchange and Poole Road. Since then, crews have been battling against mother nature to complete lane closures in both directions from I-40 to the U.S. Highway 64/264 split.
Crews will return to I-440 West on Monday night to finish closing off lanes between Poole Road and the U.S. 64 split, and concrete barriers should replace orange construction barrels in that stretch by Friday, officials said.
Crews will begin work on I-440 East on Tuesday, first installing orange construction barrels to help complete a traffic shift down to two lanes from U.S. 64/264 back toward the I-40/440 split. Weather permitting, lane shifts could be complete by the end of next week.
Concrete barriers will replace orange barrels in the following week, officials said.
Once the concrete barriers are in place, the big work begins. Crews will work around the clock to cut out the interstate and rebuild it piece by piece.
Once that section of I-440 is replaced, the crews move on to the bigger piece of the Fortify project – replacing pavement on the stretch of I-40 that circles south of downtown Raleigh.
That work should begin early next year and continue into 2016.