banner
Family

Dog helps save 5-year-old boy with Down syndrome who got caught in a dryer

Posted November 29

An Irish family has a lot to be thankful for this week after its cockapoo named Teddy saved its young son from a near-death experience, according to Time magazine.

The family’s son, Riley Gedge-Duffy, 5, who has Down syndrome, climbed into the clothes dryer while the dryer started to spin, Time reported. But the family’s dog knew something went wrong and alerted the boy’s mother that her son was in danger, The Irish News reported.

“The dog was barking like mad and running backwards and forwards to the tumble dryer,” said the boy’s father, Aaron Duffy, to The Irish News. “Because it was so dark inside, she could not see where Riley was.”

The dog went steps further, running upstairs to attract the mother’s attention. He barked like mad in front of her and then ran backward toward the dryer.

As Teddy barked, the mother opened the dryer and found Riley.

“They could hear banging and crashing and could see his iPad going round and round. We suspect he was inside for a couple of minutes,” Duffy said, according to The Guardian. “She (my wife) pulled Riley out and started pouring cold water over him. I arrived home about 40 seconds later, stripped him and took him into the shower to cover him in cold water. After that I dialed 999. It doesn’t bear thinking about what might have happened if the dog had not been there.”

They took Riley to the Ulster hospital in Dundonald, where he got a CT scan to measure the bruising in his head. A hospital spokeswoman told The Guardian that the boy is “comfortable” right now.

“He’s doing very well, apart from the burns and bruising to the head,” Duffy said. “But he is in good enough form and is getting back to his old self.”

Thanks to Teddy, Riley lived to see another day.

Though Duffy is happy about his dog finding the boy, he’s still upset the situation happened at all.

Still, Teddy is a bit of a wonder dog. Duffy said this isn’t the first time Teddy has helped the family survive, having previously informed the family that an iPhone charger had caught fire, according to The Guardian.

“The dog alerted us that an iPhone charger was catching fire. She’s a brilliant dog, it is amazing,” he said.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all