Local News

Dog alerts Johnston family to house fire

Posted December 11, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— A pet dog alerted a family to a fire in their Willow Spring home early Sunday, Johnston County fire officials said.

Fire Marshal Chris Perry said one of the family's three dogs awakened them to the fire at 226 Penwood Road around 5 a.m.

He said the two adults and child managed to get out safely, along with one of the dogs, but two of the dogs died.

Flames had engulfed the one-story home by the time firefighters arrived. Officials said the home was destroyed.

Perry said the homeowners had put out a fire in the fireplace before they went out to bed, but it's possible that the fire ignited materials within the walls while it was still going.

The family is staying with neighbors and also getting help from the Red Cross.

4 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • 2gurlz2boyzMom Dec 12, 2011

    i wish there was a way to list my name on here for donations...i have stuff to go to goodwill, but would rather donate to those that need them so they don't have to pay for them @ goodwill.

  • pedsRN Dec 12, 2011

    What a blessing that dog was to this family!!

  • christywhitaker30 Dec 12, 2011

    Smart Dog.........

  • Scubagirl Dec 12, 2011

    Very sad, but glad the family and at least one dog escaped alive.