Diamante Awards to honor 9 community contributors
Posted September 20
The Diamante (Inc.) Arts & Cultural Center announced on Wednesday the nine honorees of the statewide 2017 Latino Diamante Awards. The 22nd award show will take on Oct. 14, 2017, at the Cary Arts Center.
“Presenting these awards, is the highlight of our year (at Diamante),” said Roberto Perez, board chair of Diamante Arts and Cultural Center. “We hold an immense amount of gratitude to the community for their continued support and helping Diamante honor over 180 adults and youth these past 22 years," added Mr. Perez.
These statewide awards began in 1996, as a way to honor individuals and organizations that are making significant contributions in the Latino/Hispanic communities of North Carolina by recognizing their achievements and work in the community.
The 2017 Latino Diamante Awards will be presented to:
- Art & Culture – SAF (Student Action with Farmworkers) Cultural Arts Program (Durham)
- Business – Johana Zatarain, BBB Northwest (Winston-Salem)
- Community Involvement – Irvin Zavaleta, Guildford College (Greensboro)
- Education – Marlon Torres, NC Arts in Action (Carrboro)
- Health & Science – Camila Pulgar, CareNet Counseling (Winston-Salem)
- Latino Advocate – Moms Rising/Mamás Con Poder (NC)
- Youth Accomplishment Scholarship – Alfredo Piñon Monroy (Garner) and Yaritza Villalobos Aguilera (Rocky Point)
- Lizette Cruz Watko Award (Lifetime)– Rafael Prieto, QuePasa Mi Gente (Cornelius)
In exception for the Youth Accomplishment award, honorees of the Latino Diamante Award are nominated by their peers in a public nomination process administered by a selection committee separate from the governing board of the organization. The Lizette Cruz Watko Awards is selected by the board of Directors of Diamante.
The Latino Diamante Awards will take place at the Cary Arts Center, 101 Dry Ave., on Saturday, Oct.14 from 6 to 11 p.m. Aside from recognizing the honorees, the 2017 award ceremony will include five cultural artistic presentations representing Brazil, El Salvador, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Spain. Other happenings for the evening include a Tapas Reception, and an after party.
This event is supported in part by Food Lion, Wells Fargo, the Town of Cary and many others. Tickets are $60 per person plus tax and can be purchased: Online or by phone at 1-800-514-3849. For more details, visit www.latinodiamanteawards.org