News

Device in student backpack ignites at Utah school, 3 hurt

Posted August 29

— A school official says a battery in a small electronic device ignited in a student's backpack at a Utah high school, leaving two students with minor chemical burns on their arms and one with smoke inhalation.

Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley tells KSL-TV (http://bit.ly/2vCb5vT ) the three Taylorsville High School students were treated by Unified Fire Authority paramedics after the 9:45 a.m. Tuesday incident. None was hospitalized.

Horsley says the backpack was on the floor of a classroom when it began smoking and the device exploded.

The school spokesman says it was clearly not an intentional act to harm students or a terrorist threat.

He says classes resumed in the afternoon.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all