Local News

Department of Justice closed by carbon monoxide leak

Posted September 10, 2009

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— The state government building that houses the North Carolina Department of Justice had to be evacuated due to carbon monoxide.

Patty McQuillan with the Department of Crime Control and Public Safety said between 300 and 400 people were evacuated Thursday morning from the old Education Building in downtown Raleigh. State Capitol Police initially attributed the problem to a propane gas leak.

McQuillan said one person was taken to a local hospital after complaining of headaches and nausea. The person's condition wasn't immediately known.

Police officers evacuated the building, at 114 W. Edenton St., which includes the office of Attorney General Roy Cooper, shortly after 11 a.m. The building reopened at about 3 p.m.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • moth Sep 10, 2009

    Its coming from the govt bureaucrats.
    Maybe they'll close it down permanently!

  • FoxtrotUniformCharlieKiloakaCALM Sep 10, 2009

    leave it to one person to take advantage of a situation and get seen by a doctor since they know the state will pay

  • dbcooper41 Sep 10, 2009

    2kidz, i apologize if your comments were addressed towards PSS. i was wondering what you meant by "(pss)". looking back at older posts i just realized you were probably responding to their wisecracks.
    again, i hope your person of concern if ok.

  • dbcooper41 Sep 10, 2009

    2kidz1hub, not sure why you took my comment as being in jest. my post just before this reminded that a local factory recently expolded from a gas leak. i was trying to point out, too subtly apparently, that we should take this situation more seriously than some posters were. i was also trying to point out that the gas is odorless, yet early reports were of a propane leak and a gas smell. propane, as you know, is heavily scented to aid in leak detection.
    and no, i would be one of the last to the parking lot because i would be involved in findng the source of the leak and dealing with it, while others gathered a very safe distance away from the building.
    my shoes have steel toes, size 11. care to try them on? based on your sensitivity and apparent stress level i'm guessing your husband works in the building. i hope he is ok.

  • 2kidz1hub Sep 10, 2009

    "n&o also report carbon monoxide. but isn't that odorless?"

    Yes and deadly---We make light of because it is a state agency (pss). However, if it was your workplace consumed by carbon monoxide, gas or whatever, I am sure you would be the first to the parking lot.

    Put yourself in the shoes of others before you speak!!

  • Raleigh Boys Sep 10, 2009

    Good time to take the furlough hours.

  • dbcooper41 Sep 10, 2009

    n&o also report carbon monoxide.
    but isn't that odorless?

  • pss2 Sep 10, 2009

    Belle...it's all good. :0)

  • Phrostbite Sep 10, 2009

    Carbon Monoxide leak is what my sources are reporting.

  • dbcooper41 Sep 10, 2009

    let's not forget that a local factory exploded recently from a gas event.