Demolition to begin on defunct Fayetteville nightclub
Posted January 21, 2015
Fayetteville, N.C. — Fayetteville officials said Wednesday that crews will begin demolishing a defunct Owen Drive nightclub that was once considered a nuisance.
The city authorized demolition of the former Palomino last year, but action was delayed to give another tenant in the same strip mall time to relocate. Asbestos removal is complete in the building, and the contractor will take it down this week.
“This dangerous and unsightly structure has been a blighting influence on the Massey Hill neighborhood for years,” officials said in a statement.
In 2009, the city sued to take possession of the club after two deadly shootings on the premises.
The demolition will cost $291,411, which will become a lien on the property to be collected through foreclosure or sale.