Local News

Fire engulfs home in south Raleigh

Posted January 30

— Emergency crews were responding early Thursday to a house fire in the 4900 block of Birchleaf Drive near Penny Road in Raleigh.

As many as 10 trucks responded to the home at about 5:15 a.m., and flames were still pouring out of the roof at 6:30 a.m. 

Firefighters were trucking in water on Penny Road and then pumping it to the home, officials said. Temperatures were hovering in the single digits at 6:30 a.m.

The homeowner, a retired firefighter, told WRAL that nobody was injured in the blaze.

Authorities have not released any information about the cause of the fire. 

17 Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all
  • Flipper Jan 31, 10:09 a.m.

    The main difference between being in City limits or County limits is whether or not there are fire hydrants throughout the neighborhood. The fire departments in the County are highly trained and experienced in rapidly establishing water shuttle operations that provide equivalent flow to what a hydrant would provide. There was not an issue of water supply at this fire. The outside temperature was around 10 degrees F and the road conditions were dangerous, which made things more difficult, but this was an effect and not a cause. The firefighters involved from the involved departments (Swift Creek, Fairview, Fuquay-Varina, Garner, Western Wake) did an excellent job given the conditions, and were able to stop the fire in the attic before it spread throughout the rest of the house. The family experienced a tragic loss of property, but there is a tremendous amount of their personal belongings that are fully salvageable. We all pray for their well-being and healing in the months to come

  • seumfithy Jan 30, 7:29 p.m.

    House is in Wake County limits. Has a Raleigh post office. Paying no city taxes and getting no... View More

    — Posted by LuvLivingInCary

    I am not sure which fire department covers that area, but right up the road is Fairview Fire... View More

    — Posted by rescuefan

    Property in the city limits pay a fire tax that fund their fire department. Property in the county pay a fire tax that funds the county departments. All pay taxes and all get the service.

  • yensidek Jan 30, 5:08 p.m.

    House is in Wake County limits. Has a Raleigh post office. Paying no city taxes and getting no... View More

    — Posted by ProzacDispenser

    Dear Prozac (and any others that are clueless). This family has contributed much to this community, and even one has served as a firefighter before moving here (had to quit because of injury on the job). You may have an agenda, but a kind, loving and community minded family had a terrible loss, and your crass comment is a reflection upon you.

  • rescuefan Jan 30, 2:50 p.m.

    House is in Wake County limits. Has a Raleigh post office. Paying no city taxes and getting no... View More

    — Posted by LuvLivingInCary

    I am not sure which fire department covers that area, but right up the road is Fairview Fire Department, which is a volunteer fire department. I'm not positive, but I don't think city taxes pay for volunteer fire departments.

    What a tragic loss for the family. I am thankful that nobody was hurt or killed!

  • forthepublicadjusters Jan 30, 2:29 p.m.

    momjean55 - Prayers to your friends. Even though the house appears to be a total loss the insurance company will most likely make a low-ball offer. Encourage your friend to obtain free guidance by calling 919-400-6440. Anderson Cooper of CNN did a two part story on such issues - http://www.insuranceclaimsgroup.com/blog/insurance-dispute-the-delay-deny-defend-game/

  • MindBomb Jan 30, 1:33 p.m.

    MomJean55
    I agree and hope you do not take mine as such. I am very sorry to hear about their loss, and it must be very traumatic for them, and something I never hope to experience. I cherish the people in my life, and what I have worked hard for, and it would be devastating to lose it all. Positive thoughts to all involved, as well as to those who lost everything in the house fire on Denberg Lane.

  • momjean55 Jan 30, 1:19 p.m.

    For those of you making rude unnecessary remarks...these are my dear friends...more like family.....they were awakened by their son who heard the smoke alarm and got them all out safely....the house is surely totalled.crass remark about the candle.really.wonder what remarks people would have if your home burned...pray to God you never experience this in your lifetime.

  • wildween Jan 30, 12:54 p.m.

    I hope all the firefighters stay warm and be safe.

  • MindBomb Jan 30, 12:43 p.m.

    Maybe they do not pay city taxes, but they are paying taxes somewhere, prozac, so they should have fire protection regardless. I do think that neighborhoods with large houses should have some sort of hydrant system or better access to water built in, as that seems to have been an issue for the last 2 very large (5000+ sq. ft.) house fires we have seen this month. I am also curious about the cause of the fire on Denberg Lane as it was so all consuming. I never saw any other coverage after it happened.

  • cushioncritter Jan 30, 12:35 p.m.

    Probably the fire started from a space heater. I had two of the most popular brand sold at the largest retailers (hint: they are the leading makers of thermostats as well), made in China. The oil filled one started leaking oil. The small ceramic one ignores its thermostat and had to be cut off when it smelled like burning wires. Also had a ceramic one from a dollar store that smelled like it was about to melt. A competing dollar store recalled the identical model as a fire hazard, but because this dollar stores model number included the initials of the chain, it was not recalled. I do not advise anyone sleeping or leaving a room with a space heater even plugged in, and wait until it cools down.

More...