Crews battle fire at abandoned Raleigh house
Posted June 27, 2014
Raleigh, N.C. — Fire crews and Raleigh police responded early Friday to a fire at an abandoned house near the intersection of Old Wake Forest Road and North Market Drive.
It wasn't clear what caused the blaze, which was reported at about 6:30 a.m.
Fire crews had to access the home after crossing a ditch that was behind a shopping center, Raleigh Fire Department Division Chief Ronny Mizell said. About 70 percent of the home was destroyed.
"The house looked like it had been built on to multiple times, so there were a lot of hidden voids and tough spots to get to," he said. "The fire was difficult."
No injuries have been reported, but Mizell said a man was sitting on the front porch of the home when they arrived on scene.
"It appears, the way it looks, the surroundings, that there were some people probably occupying the house," Mizell said. "Any time we have an abandoned home like this and homeless that are going to occupy the structure, you never really know what you might run into."
No other information about the fire has been released.