Local News

Crews battle residential fire in southeast Raleigh

Posted March 13, 2012

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— A residential fire in southeast Raleigh Tuesday morning displaced six people, authorities said.

The fire at 613 Quarry St. started around 9:46 a.m., and heavy smoke could be seen coming from the second floor.

A caller told 911 that a child was trapped inside the 2,600-square-foot home, which has several units, but the child was not inside the house, according to Raleigh Fire Marshal Peter Brock.

"Someone called and said, 'Your house is on fire,' and I said, 'Oh my God! My son is in there,'" said Beverly Gutherie. "So, I immediately ran to the nearest taxi, and I said, 'Yo, my house is on fire. I don't have any money,' and he said, 'Just get in, ma'am.'"

Firefighters had to use two engines to run a hose at least two blocks to get water to the house because the closest hydrant was dry. Brock says that is rare, and they're investigating the problem.

The fire was under control by 10:20 a.m.

The home, which is owned by Derek and Sharon Dombycz, also caught fire in 2006, according to Brock.

Fire engulfed another home belonging to the Dombyczs' on Feb. 18. A couple and their three children living there were displaced after fire tore through the house on New Bern Avenue.

Crews battle Raleigh house fire Crews battle Raleigh house fire

Brock says the fires were all accidental and that it's not unusual for the owner of multiple properties with multiple tenants to experience fires.

8 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Just the facts mam Mar 13, 2012

    Closest hydrant was dry? I assume someone tests these occasionally???

  • turbo08 Mar 13, 2012

    wakemom- the house in that picture was pretty big looking to me (2,600 sq ft.) .. just saying, IMO.

  • Squirreling Dervish Mar 13, 2012

    His name is spelled Dariusz Dombrycz, not Derek. There is no DEREK listed on Wake County records...

  • wakemom Mar 13, 2012

    whether it is/was a shock or not, it was still somebody's home! next time it could be your 8000 square foot mansion smh!!

  • jmf1073 Mar 13, 2012

    I'd rather burn it than maintain that shack too.

  • gopowell Mar 13, 2012

    Slow news day.

  • not my real name Mar 13, 2012

    Hopefully the children are in school.

  • needhambryan Mar 13, 2012

    I hope thay dont find any children in there