Local News

Intense fire destroys million-dollar Raleigh house

Posted November 21, 2012
Updated November 22, 2012

— A large home on Swithland Court in north Raleigh was destroyed Wednesday night after a fire started on the patio, authorities said. 

Bay Leaf Fire Department crews responded to the home about 10 p.m. as the roof collapsed in flames. No one was inside the house at the time of the fire, according to an emergency dispatcher. 

Firefighters said there was a gathering at the house and that families were about to make s'mores in the patio fireplace when the fire started. 

Fire crews attempted to enter the house and contain the blaze, but they were forced back when the home began to collapse. 

"We made an attempt to get to the second floor to try to stop it in the attic, but we had some collapses pretty quick," Bay Leaf Fire Department Chief Tim Pope said. "It became unsafe to have people inside so we had to back and up have people go to a defensive operation."

Neighbors stood nearby watching firefighters battle the blaze. One man sprayed trees and bushes with a hose so the fire wouldn't spread.

Property records show the nearly 10,000-square-foot home is valued at $1.2 million. No other information was available.

Crews battle fire at million-dollar Raleigh house Fire rips through north Raleigh home


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Rebelyell Nov 27, 2012

    Come on, you don't even give the address? And no other information was available?

  • mom97 Nov 27, 2012

    Those patio fireplaces are designed, by code, to be a certain number of feet from a house & to properly contain a fire. Yeah, either someone's behind on their mortgage payments or it was a Kiddie and Kerosene combo.

  • C6-YA Nov 23, 2012

    This sounds very suspicious. How can a fire start on a patio and spread so quickly in a 10K square foot home.... hmmm...

  • superman Nov 23, 2012

    I dont understand any of this story. A fire outside on the patio and a house that large burns down. Must have been a huge fire on the patio.

  • ligonmaterial23 Nov 23, 2012

    Boy , the insurance company is not going to like that one , no sir

  • Scubagirl Nov 23, 2012

    I should have said....spread so quickly

  • Scubagirl Nov 23, 2012

    What a horrible thing to happen at any time, but especially during the holidays. I'm very glad no one was injured. What I don't understand is how a fire outside on the patio spread that fast. Did they wait to call, did the wind cause sparks?