Local News

Cooker fire damages Vass house

Posted July 5, 2009

Map Marker  Find News Near Me


— A cooker on the back deck likely caused a fire that seriously damaged a Vass house Saturday afternoon.

Flames were shooting through the roof of the home in the 3900 block of Union Church Road when firefighters arrived in the early afternoon, said Frank Staples, safety officer with the Circle V Fire Department.

Crews worked to put out the flames, and Seven Lakes Fire Department sent an air truck to help, he said. It took until about 5 p.m. to clear the scene.

No people were injured.

The house was still standing but was likely a total loss due to fire, water and smoke damage, Staples said.

Staples said it was a busy July 4th for the Circle V Fire Department: At the same time as the house fire, they were also called out to two woods fire and to investigate an odor.

They called in additional resources from the state forestry agency, Lemon Springs and Southern Pines fire departments.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • ajsmall83 Jul 6, 2009

    This story is inncorrect. The cooker was on the ground when it happened. I work for American Red Cross and of course Wral screwed it all up when Staples gave them the input I guess. First, it started on the ground and worked its way up the deck and along the ground to the house. Also Wral was so inconsiderate that they disclosed that the lady lost the pets. It was a headline, Cooker burns house, kills pets. I had them take it down for the simple fact the lady did not know her cats had died. Wral needs to stop and think about consideration. It did not need to be a headline including the death of the pets.

  • smitty Jul 6, 2009

    Maybe it was an Easy-Bake oven.

  • thefensk Jul 6, 2009

    What kind of "cooker" was it? I see people doing charcoal on decks all the time, never a good idea. If it was a fryer, then too bad as that is an even worse idea.