Local News

Clothes dryer to blame for Chapel Hill apartment fire

Posted March 3, 2014

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A build-up of lint in the vent hose of a clothes dryer is to blame for a fire at a Chapel Hill apartment complex, investigators said Monday.

Firefighters were called to 127 Edisto Court shortly before 8:30 a.m. Friday, where firefighters found a moderate amount of fire and smoke near a dryer in one of the homes.

Authorities said the clog was in a curve in a flexible aluminum vent hose that had started smoldering while someone was using the dryer. It ignited after the dryer was turned off.

No one was home at the time of the fire, and no one was injured.

According to the Chapel Hill Fire Department, approximately 15,000 fires each year are caused by clothes dryers.

Firefighters say residents should make sure that they use a vent hose made of a semi-rigid fire-resistant material and be sure that the hose isn't bent in a way that would cause lint clogs.

They also urge residents to clean the vents at least once a year and never leave any appliance running while asleep.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • anonemoose Mar 4, 2014

    So, the dryer didn't do it then?

  • JennyB Mar 4, 2014

    My brain just exploded. The flex vent caused it. Probably because the dryer was pushed so far against the wall that it crushed the flex and allowed lint to build-up. Sigh.

  • anonemoose Mar 4, 2014

    So did the dryer cause the fire? If so, we need to take the matches away from the dryer.