Local News

City Council Approves Plans to Fix Raleigh Day Care

Posted June 20, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— The Raleigh City Council gave approval Tuesday to pay for cleaning up a contaminated day-care center.

The New Bern Day Care, located on Tarboro Road, was designed 40 years ago to serve children of low-income families. Asbestos and lead paint were discovered in the center last winter after the facility's heating system failed.

The center has continued to operate, but officials said the hazards pose no immediate health threat to the children or staff members.

After crews remove asbestos and lead paint, the building will be assessed for use as a multi-purpose facility, including a day-care center.

6 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • ladyblue Jun 20, 2007

    I know now why I am so loopy. When we grew up all house was painted with lead and I grew up eating the window pane frames. Mama said I picked it up as habit when teething and I ate until i stared school. So folks overlook things I say. Sad to say this is true. Wonder how I stayed an honor roll and dean's list student??

  • djofraleigh Jun 20, 2007

    Probably everyone over 40 has gone to school in buildings with lead paint and asbestoes. The cleaning of the building is very expensive. One more burden lawyers have fostered on society via threat of lawsuits. I don't see reason being used in the abatements I've been a party to.

  • Tackman792000 Jun 20, 2007

    It's good to remediate the building of asbestos and LBP. As building owner, the City of Raleigh would be the ultimate responsible party if a child became lead poisoned or if someone develops an asbestos related disease and it could be traced back to the facility.

  • aquamama Jun 20, 2007

    Lead paint and asbestos CAN be hazardous, but only if they get into the human system. If lead paint is peeling or chipping off and a child eats it, it can cause neurological damage. If asbestos becomes airborne and gets into your lungs, it can cause cancer and asbestosis, an inflammation of the lungs. When these substances are kept in place, they are not necessarily hazardous. Removal of both these things has gotten easier since the mass production of HEPA filters to clean the air during and after the removal process.

  • skinnycow Jun 20, 2007

    The original story when it first posted stated that the asbestos and lead paint are not dangerous so they are still operating and parents are still using that facility as a day care provider. My original post was isnt asbestos and lead paint dangerous to human inhalation? I thought I read somewhere that asbestos can cause cancer? I think the facility should be closed until everything is repaired.

  • Adelinthe Jun 20, 2007

    Glad they're cleaning it up. Should be used to provide a needed service to the nearby community.

    God bless.

    Rev. RB