Cigarette starts fire at Fayetteville motel
Posted January 20, 2016
Fayetteville, N.C. — Several people were evacuated from a Fayetteville motel following a fire Wednesday afternoon.
Authorities said firefighters found smoke pouring through the second floor of the Budget Inn at 200 South Eastern Boulevard when they arrived late in the afternoon.
Investigators said the fire began in one of the rooms and was caused by a lit cigarette. The occupant of the room said that he left briefly and found the bed on fire when he returned.
The occupant of the room was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center for treatment of smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.
Four residents were evacuated from the motel and relocated to an undamaged part of the building.
Authorities said that the room where the fire originated received significant smoke and water damage, as did adjacent rooms on the first and second floors of the building.
The fire has been ruled accidental.