Raleigh, N.C. — Willy Wonka, Mr. Hershey, and Casanova all knew about the reported ability of chocolate to act as an aphrodisiac. The legendary lover Casanova promoted chocolate for its ability to provide energy for a night on the prowl and is said to have declared dark chocolate’s sweet sensual pleasure among the world’s finest aphrodisiacs. The consumption of alcohol is likewise one of the oldest libido stimulators and arguably the most widely used aphrodisiac. Wasn't it Shakespeare himself who said in reference to alcohol "it provokes and it unprovokes; it provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance."? Well. we won't go into that last part but the NCBeerGuys always suggest you drink responsibly and with a careful thought for your after-drinking plans.
Moving on, we suggested last year in our Valentine's Day article that readers think outside the chocolate box for Valentine's Day and consider delivering that expected chocolate decadence in a way both of you can enjoy together by giving chocolate goodness in beer form to your lover. We presented some North Carolina craft beer ideas for consideration which included Foothills Brewing's popular Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout, Pisgah Brewing's Chocolate Stout out of Black Mountain along with more local favorites Deep River Brewing 4042 Stout out of Clayton, Hillsborough's own Mystery Brewing Company's Six Impossible Things Chocolate Breakfast Stout, and Raleigh's Big Boss Brewing Company Big Operator.
We wanted to update our thoughts and options for you this year with some other beers that might offer the fun of alcohol and chocolate mixed into one party maker! These are some other great craft beer options from around the state for Valentine's Day.
- Fat Charley’s Raspberry Chocolate Stout - Double Barley Brewing, Smithfield
- Belgian Chocolate Rye Stout - Haw River Farmhouse Ales, Saxaphahaw
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Stout - Nantahala Brewing Company, Nantahala
- Love Ninja Porter - Asheville Brewing Company, Asheville
- LAB Chocolate Stout - Lexington Avenue Brewery, Asheville
- Mallet Chocolate Cherry Stout - Burial Beer Company, Asheville
- The White Queen Bids Farewell (Chocolate Ale) - Mystery Brewing Company, Hillsborough
- Vanilla Bean Chocolate Brown Ale - Ass Clown Brewing Company, Cornelius
- Videri Chocolate Stout - Ponysaurus Brewing, Durham
- Aztec Gold Imperial Chocolate Stout - Gizmo Brew Works, Raleigh
- Chocolate Milk Stout - Raleigh Brewing Co., Raleigh
Finally, you may remember a study a few years back that found men responded more powerfully to the scent of fresh-baked cinnamon buns than any perfume. For women, the sexiest scents included licorice, cucumber, and banana nut bread. Well, we'd say that the aromatics of a great chocolaty brew might get some motors running too! Try it with your valentine this year on Valentine's Day! Stop in at a brewery, bottle shop or grocery and see what options they have in a chocolate beer.
Dave Tollefsen and Glenn Cutler are regular guys living in central North Carolina with their families who share a love for craft beer and homebrewing. They work together as the NCBeerGuys. They can be found online promoting North Carolina craft beer, providing information about the folks who produce local beer and writing about beer adventures, activities and events across North Carolina.