Local News

Child playing with lighter ignites Durham house fire

Posted December 31, 2014

WRAL News
Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— A Durham home suffered heavy damage Wednesday morning after a fire caused by a child playing with a lighter.

The child was playing with the lighter inside an apartment at 3914 Dearborn Drive at about 11:30 a.m. when a pillow was ignited, officials said. The fire quickly spread to the curtains and the rest of the bedroom.

The bedroom was destroyed and the rest of the apartment suffered heavy heat and smoke damage, officials said.

An adult and another child were in the home at the time. No injuries were reported.

Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all