National News

Child claims monkey bars at camp burned him

Posted July 19

— An unfortunate incident at a local playground is serving as a reminder to parents to be extra cautious with their kids in this dangerous heat. A 10-year-old boy says he burned his hands on hot playground equipment while attending a summer camp.

Jesse James Turkington says he was at a summer camp at Concord Elementary when he got hurt.

"We were playing at the recess time and I went on the monkey bars and it was so hot, that it burnt my hand," said Turkington.

Turkington says the pain didn't start right away.

"When I first got it on my left hand, I kind of saw it and I didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until after recess and I went inside and that is when I decided to go to the nurses' office," says Turkington.

He says the nurses bandaged him up.

"When I went to get bandages and stuff they told me I had to peel the left over skin off and that's when it started hurting," he says.

Once home, his grandmother Alexandra Spence says she didn't call the school and she didn't take pictures of the injuries.

"When I looked at it and saw that they were burned blisters I saw that it was probably too hot," says Spence.

Lindbergh School District public information officer Anthony Dobson says Turkington had blisters on his hands prior to going on the monkey bars.

He says they got worse after he went on the playground equipment. Turkington and his grandmother say that's not true.

The district said when temperatures reach a heat index of 100 degrees, no activities are done outside.

While Turkington continues to heal, his grandmother has a message to share with other parents.

"Be reminded because almost all of playground equipment is almost directly into the sun," she says.

Copyright 2017 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all