Local News

Chief: Clues to fatal Godwin fire emerge

Posted October 13, 2010

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Clues at the scene of a fatal fire in Cumberland County could indicate that Angela Cox, 40, tried to put out the flames that eventually claimed her life and the lives of her two grandchildren, Godwin-Falcon Fire Chief Wayne Lucas said.

Cox was found unconscious on the floor in the kitchen at her 8123 Fayetteville Road home in Godwin. The water was running in the sink when firefighters arrived, Lucas said.

Debbie Tanna, spokeswoman for the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office, said that a passerby noticed smoke and reported the fire around 5 p.m. Monday.

Kayden Shambach, 3, and Chase Shambach, 20 months, were inside the home with Cox and also died.

Cox had been watching the children while their mother was at work at a nearby pork processing plant, neighbors said.

Lucas said his firefighters hypothesized that the fire started in a couch cushion, but he said his was not the investigating agency.

5 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • down by the pond Oct 13, 2010

    possibly a cigarette on the couch,,, don't smoke in the home and don't smoke around children. period.

  • thinkin out loud Oct 13, 2010

    "If you are not the investigating agency then shut your pie hole and let the investigating agency do their jobs!!Looking for 15 minutes of fame!!!"

    dare107. You don't know these firefighters like I do. I assure you they are not looking for 15 minutes of anything but life as normal. It's the news media thats looking for 15 seconds of anything they can add to the story.

  • Just the facts mam Oct 13, 2010

    Important lesson for the rest of us - it sounds like it was the smoke they died from and not the fire itself, which is often the case. It sounds like if she could have grabbed the grandkids and gotten out of the house then they may all be alive today. A house can be replaced, but lives cannot. Having once been a volunteer firefighter and seen lives lost in house fires, I guess I can speak to this. And I remember one house fire in the middle of the night where smoke detectors saved lives that I believe would have been lost without them, so I can testify to their value.

  • TeresaBee Oct 13, 2010

    Bet it was the chemicals in the cushion that killed them.

  • dare107 Oct 13, 2010

    If you are not the investigating agency then shut your pie hole and let the investigating agency do their jobs!!Looking for 15 minutes of fame!!!