Local News

Charging hoverboard sparks Clayton garage fire

Posted July 21

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— A hoverboard caught fire while charging Wednesday night and damaged a home in the Glenn Laurel subdivision of Clayton.

The fire started around 10 p.m. when homeowner Paul Papineau said the hoverboard was left plugged in for too long.

"We were upstairs watching the Republican National Convention when the house shook, and we heard an explosion," Papineau said.

The homeowners thought it could have been thunder, but Papineau's wife went to investigate and found the garage full of smoke, flames lapping at the back wall and the front of his truck on fire. The couple grabbed fire extinguishers and were able to put the fire out before firefighters arrived.

The hoverboard model was not included in a recent massive recall, Papineau said, but he left it charging for longer than the instructions advised.

"Fortunately, it made a noise and we were able to see what the problem was. It had been plugged in for four hours, which is a problem. It was only allowed to be plugged in for two hours, but you forget," he said.

Papineau said he will not be buying another hoverboard.

2 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Lamario Kelly Jul 21, 10:01 a.m.
    user avatar

    I am glad no one got hurt, but everyone including WRAL, let's be correct, it's "not a hoverboard"...if it was it would "hover" over the ground...geesh...but all that aside glad no one was injured!!

  • Stacie Hagwood Jul 21, 6:28 a.m.
    user avatar

    How many of these have to happen before the OWNERS of said boards stop using them? Glad no one was hurt.