Local News

Chapel Hill middle school evacuated after power surge

Posted May 1, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Culbreth Middle School filled with smoke Thursday morning after an air conditioning unit on the roof was damaged by a power surge, school officials said.

Students arriving for school were sent to the football field bleachers, where they were kept for about an hour.

The Chapel Hill Fire Department responded and determined that no fire was burning, school officials said. Firefighters used large fans to blow smoke out of the building before students were allowed to return to class.

The building lost electricity as a result of the surge. Duke Power restored electricity before students returned to class.

Parents were notified about the situation by the Connect-ED phone and e-mail system, school officials said.

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • davido May 1, 2008

    My son was already planning his day off, inviting friends over. Oh well, party's over kiddo!

  • anneonymousone May 1, 2008

    The staff of the school need to get combat pay; evacuating a middle school and keeping students in one place for an hour is second only to a root canal in _My Personal Book of Fun_.