Cedar Point unveils new "Hyper-Hybrid" coaster for 2018
Posted August 16
Sandusky, OH — Cedar Point showed off its newest attraction at high noon on Wednesday. The coaster, called "Steel Vengeance", replaces the "Mean Streak" in FrontierLand. It's set to open in the spring of 2018.
Cedar Point says Steel Vengeance is the tallest, faster and longest hybrid roller coaster in the world. The coaster has a wooden frame laced with steel track. It stands more than 200 feet tall. Cedar Point says the new coaster provides an extremely smooth and comfortable ride.
Cedar Point provided this list of record-breaking achievements for Steel Vengeance:
• World's tallest hybrid roller coaster (205 feet)
• World's fastest hybrid roller coaster (74 mph)
• World's steepest drop on a hybrid roller coaster (90 degrees)
• World's longest drop on a hybrid roller coaster (200 feet)
• World's longest hybrid roller coaster (5,740 feet)
• Most inversions on a hybrid roller coaster (4)
• Fastest airtime hill on a hybrid roller coaster (73 mph)
• Most airtime on a hybrid roller coaster (27.2 seconds)
• Most airtime on any roller coaster (27.2 seconds)
• World's first "hyper-hybrid" roller coaster
• Most roller coaster track at one amusement park (60,423 feet/11.4 miles)
• Most steel roller coaster track at one amusement park (57,865 feet/11 miles)
• Most roller coasters over 200 feet tall at one amusement park (6)
• Most rides at one amusement park (71)
• Most roller coasters with a first drop of 90 degrees or more at one amusement park (5)
Mean Streak debuted in 1991 and was the tallest wooden coaster in the world at that time.