Cary, N.C. — The renewed investigation into a burglary at Wake County Board of Education member Debra Goldman's Cary home has been closed without an arrest, a police spokesman said Tuesday.
In June 2010, Goldman reported about $100,000 worth of jewelry, $20,000 in cash and $10,000 in coins being missing from her home, according to a police report. The case was closed four months later.
But the leaking of investigative notes in the case to WRAL News and at least one other media outlet prompted Cary police to reopen it in October. Police said they were looking for new information, but didn't elaborate.
Capt. Don Hamilton said Tuesday that all leads had been exhausted and the case is now closed.
Goldman's estranged husband, Steve Goldman, has said he was suspicious about the alleged theft, but stopped short of saying he didn't think it happened.
Police investigators' notes indicated that there were no signs of forced entry, the house was not ransacked, and other valuables were not taken.
Back in 2010, Debra Goldman told investigators that her political opponents might have been responsible for the thefts, according to investigators' notes. Days later, she accused fellow school board member Chris Malone.
Police questioned Malone but determined Goldman's suspicion was unfounded.