Local News

Carbon monoxide suspected in two Durham deaths

Posted February 4, 2015

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Two people were found dead inside a Durham home Wednesday morning, and authorities suspect carbon monoxide poisoning as the cause of death.

Authorities received a 911 call at about 10:15 a.m. from someone who went to 520 Spruce St. and found a woman unconscious, said Durham Fire Department spokesman Chris Ianuzzi. When crews arrived, they also found a man unconscious in the house, he said.

Both people were later pronounced dead. Police identified them as Walter Melvin III, 50, and Ashley Brandon, 27. Relatives of Melvin said Brandon was five months pregnant.

"I still feel like I need to wake up, and it all be a dream or a nightmare," said Melvin's cousin, Theresa Parker. "Words are hard to describe."

The house belonged to a cousin of Melvin, relatives said, and Melvin and Brandon were living there temporarily.

Ianuzzi said a portable generator was inside the home, and investigators believe toxic fumes from the generator were the likely cause of death.

Melvin's family said the generator is usually in the backyard, and they found it strange for it to be moved inside, noting Melvin would have known better than to run the generator in the house.

16 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Melvin Denis Feb 4, 2015
    user avatar

    Who on earth would run a generator inside or near a home?

  • tbagasaurusrex Feb 4, 2015

    View quoted thread


    Huh? No mention of Christianity, the Bible, etc in sight. Just a bunch of folks telling you like it is for making a comment about this guy having "serious game if he was able to knock up a 20 year old." Time to pack your stuff and move out of mommy and daddy's basement.

  • Smiling&Nodding Feb 4, 2015

    "Melvin's family said the generator is usually in the backyard, and they found it strange for it to be moved inside, noting Melvin would have known better than to run the generator in the house." --- ok, suicide?

  • cdurham Feb 4, 2015

    View quoted thread


    Probably because relatives said she was pregnant as opposed to an official statement.

  • southerntalent Feb 4, 2015

    So very sad.We were at a race a few years ago and some guys lit a charcoal grill in a tent to stay warm,same results carbon monoxide will kill you. My generator is in a shed 100 feet from my home with a ventpipe thru the roof,you should not even run a portable generator beside your home where the exhause cam possibly come in thru the foundation vents.

  • sabsco Feb 4, 2015

    View quoted thread


    And reflective of the mentality of a whole lot of people who regularly post on this site.

  • Durham-Raleigh Feb 4, 2015

    The lot of people posting jokes and nastygrams on this thread are disgusting.

    You really should take a look at yourselves in the mirror, think about the feeling of ... I don't know what ... superiority or excitement you get by posting things like this?

    Ask yourself if this is the kind of person you want to be, posting anonymous hate and mockery of the dead for all to see.

    It's really quite sad.

  • JoCo50 at MXR Feb 4, 2015

    View quoted thread


    No it doesn't. Civilization would end if a fetus started being counted as a life.

  • jenjengirl89 Feb 4, 2015

    "
    Could have stayed a lot warmer and ALIVE with a kerosene heater. Much more efficient!"
    Except it was a GENERATOR, not a heater that was in use. Look it up in a dictionary.

  • Christopher Rose Feb 4, 2015
    user avatar

    Could have stayed a lot warmer and ALIVE with a kerosene heater. Much more efficient!

More...