Local News

Carbon monoxide forces evacuation at apartment complex near Duke University

Posted December 16, 2016

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A few floors at a Durham apartment complex near Duke University's campus were evacuated Thursday night after carbon monoxide was discovered.

Durham police responded to the University Apartments at 1500 Duke University Road to a report of an unconscious person. After officers arrived, the call was escalated to a hazmat incident when high levels of carbon monoxide were found in at least two buildings.

The suspected source of the poisonous gas was a boiler that was turned on around 10 p.m. to provide supplemental heat for each apartment. The boiler was turned off and will be inspected on Friday.

Both buildings were evacuated until the carbon monoxide levels returned to normal. Police said 10 people were temporarily displaced, and two people were taken to the hospital.

Authorities did not have information on the patients' conditions.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all