From Britney to Saddam, Search Trends a Who's Who on Yahoo!

Posted December 3, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Yahoo! announced Monday its top search trends for 2007.

“Searches can give us insight into a culture in motion and Yahoo!’s Top Trends in Search in 2007 reflects the world’s fascination with crossroads and breakthroughs. People weren't just buzzing about celebrity. More than ever they sought to be environmentally responsible, were using the Web to find out about food and product safety and getting the scoop on the latest gadgets,” said Heather Cabot, Yahoo! Web Life Editor.

The most-searched story in news in 2007 dealt with Saddam Hussein. The late Iraqi leader and the availability of footage of his final moments generated plenty of buzz this year. News regarding Iran and Iraq were second and third, respectively.

Britney Spears and her ongoing celebrity downslide was also a top term in Yahoo!, making the list of top 10 troubled stars, followed by Paris Hilton and Anna Nicole Smith. Michael Vick, who pleaded guilty to a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge in August, ranked ninth.

YouTube was the most-searched term pertaining to technology. The online community encyclopedia, Wikipedia, ranked No. 2 followed by Facebook. The iPhone made the list at sixth.

This year generated plenty of buzz involving sports and personalities, with NASCAR ranked No. 1, followed by tennis star Maria Sharapova. The Boston Red Sox winning their second World Series title in four years ranked third.


Please with your account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Justin T. Dec 3, 2007

    Good point, Clinto. Last I heard, internet porn makes up close to 90% of all internet traffic. (My guess is that WRAL is the other 10% ha ha).

  • bigredtruckman Dec 3, 2007

    Wait... you're telling me that there's other stuff on the net besides porno? (and WRAL of course)

  • clintoflannagan Dec 3, 2007

    If they listed the number of searches that were porno/smut related they would be multiples of all of the other searches combined.

  • 37 Dec 3, 2007

    I don't think all of those Maria Sharapova searches were related to sports.