Local News

Burning paper towel source of alarm at North Johnston High

Posted November 7, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A student set fire to a paper towel Monday morning in a bathroom at North Johnston High School, and three area fire departments responded.

The fire was reported at about 9:30 a.m.

Johnston County Schools spokeswoman Terri Sessoms said the fire was quickly extinguished, no one was injured and there was no damage to school property. The student, whom Sessoms did not identify, will be punished.

17 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • benpilkington Nov 7, 2011

    and agreed with leighleigh93. we sat outside almost all of 2nd block today.

  • benpilkington Nov 7, 2011

    it was actually a girl that did it. not a boy.

  • leighleigh93 Nov 7, 2011

    This is a lie, i am a student at north johnston high school and the bathroom was all burnt and ruined. It was about 30 mins til we were all able to go back inside the school.

  • sunshine1040 Nov 7, 2011

    Parents are not alway the ones to blame when students to wrong. Yep student needs to be punished both by the law and the parents. Some kids have hard heads and think they do know more then their parents and all the time outs without tv phones and video games do not seem to get the message across to the youth

  • montieb2 Nov 7, 2011

    As a parent to a NJHS student I have to agree that a) the student and the parents both take responsibility, as my son knows whatever he does outside of my reach will come back to him tenfold. Wouldn't it be nice if other parents had the audacity to teach their children the same way?

  • bluedogs1 Nov 7, 2011

    you pay fire taxes on YOUR property,,,and guess who dont pay fire tax? yep,, the school system!!! so send the parents the bill!!!!

  • sunshineonmyshoulder Nov 7, 2011

    guyg163-You must be the "guy" who thinks they may ask you to pay the bill. Our tax dollars should be spent to put out all fires, but if they can identify a person who sets a fire intentionally, that person should have to foot the bill. Since the high school student obviously can't pay that kind of money, the parents should have to. (Let me state right here that I would take that money's worth out of my child's behind if they ever did such a thing.)Three fire departments responded to this. Thankfully they weren't needed at the school, but they may have been needed someplace else...someplace they couldn't respond to because they were putting out a trashcan in a bathroom. I agree the parents should have to reimburse the taxpayers this money.

  • AD27576 Nov 7, 2011

    Hmm..Same thing happened there in 2004. Pretty sure the boy that did it back then ..just got a few days of suspension.

  • wildcat Nov 7, 2011

    thank your wife for what she does.

    WIFE IS NOT THE ONLY ONE LOOKING OUT FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL STUDENTS. THANKS TO ALL THE FACULTY AND OTHERS ADULTS THERE FOR KEEPING ALL STUDENTS SAFE. GLAD NO ONE WAS HURT OR THE BUILDING BURNED DOWN.

  • Love my boys Nov 7, 2011

    North Johnston Resident - thank your wife for what she does. While it will be a few years, my children will attend NJHS. I agree with most of you - the student should be punished and his/her parents made to foot the bill. Thankfully, this was a minor incident that didn't cause any bodily harm or damage.

More...