Editor's Note: Jessica Greene owner of Bull City Craft in Durham shares this simple spring craft.
Yellow has always been the favorite color of my daughter Frances. Cheerful yellow daffodils have always been one of my favorites because they promise that spring is arriving. These fun daffodils made from coffee filters are easy and are made from things you probably already have at home. These daffodils would be cute as place settings at the Easter table -- just write guests names on the stem!
yellow and orange food coloring or liquid watercolor
1. Paint the coffee filters with a combination of yellow and orange. Put down some parchment paper first or work on trays or cookie sheets because the color will soak through the coffee filters. Frances had painted coffee filters before, but she was really excited when I showed her how to fold them into fourths and dip the edge in the color. It’s fun to watch the color run up the paper as it is absorbed. Dipping keeps the edges ruffled. You will need both flat painted pieces and ruffled ones.
2. While the coffee filters dry (on paper towels or on cookie sheets), cut strips of green paper for stems.
3. After they dry, cut out star shaped flowers from the flat yellow and orange coffee filters (this job is best done by mom or an older child).
4. Put a drop of glue on the stem. Attach a star shaped flower. Add another drop of glue. Attach a folded or twisted ruffled coffee filter. Frances insisted on attaching the flowers at both ends of the stems.
Bull City Craft has some special events and programs coming up in April. Here's what's scheduled:
- Mommy & Me Art, 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Thursdays, April 10 to May 15. For ages 1 to 5 with a caregiver. Six weeks of stories, art, and crafting fun for $60 plus $7 materials fee! This is a fun way to make stuff with your little one without all the mess! Call or email to register: 919-419-0800, email@example.com
- Spring Eggstravaganza at Bull City Craft, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., Friday, April 11. Paint and decorate papier mache and wood Easter eggs and spring baskets. Priced per project starting at $2. Reservations suggested, but not required. 919-419-0800.
- Paper Lantern Workshop, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., April 26. Free. Decorate a paper lantern and bring it to the Illuminate Durham Lantern Parade on May 3. All ages.