Local News

Broken conductor contributed to electrocution of Raleigh lifeguard

Posted September 12
Updated September 13

Teen found dead in pool
Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— The failure of a pool pump motor and a broken conductor resulted in the electrocution of a Raleigh lifeguard, according to a Wake County inspection report.

Rachel Rosoff, 17, was found in a pool on Valley Forge Road in the Heritage Point neighborhood on Sept. 3 and pulled from the water.

Rosoff was a student at Enloe High School, and she worked as a lifeguard at the community pool through the Aquatic Management Group.

A relative told WRAL News that Rosoff was alone at the pool at the time of her death. They believe she was holding a metal bar for support when she reached into the water to check the chemicals.

According to the report released Monday, the motor on the pool pump failed and a portion of the device faulted to ground. When this happened, the current was supposed to travel through a grounded conductor, which was broken and could not conduct the necessary current to trip a breaker and cut off electricity.

“The current then followed the only path available to it, the pool water, creating a voltage gradient across the pool and pool equipment,” the report said.

The Wake County Sheriff’s Office is still investigating the incident.

1 Comment

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Len White Sep 13, 6:34 a.m.
    user avatar

    Is the actual incident report available to the public? I have some small interest in ‘electrical things’ and I’d like to read the details….