Bond doubled for Durham motel shooting suspect
Posted March 30, 2015
Durham, N.C. — A District Court judge on Monday doubled the bond for a Durham man suspected of shooting his girlfriend late Sunday, noting his violent past.
Mike Dwayne Brown, 33, surrendered to police at his home 111 N. Elizabeth St. at about 2 a.m. Monday, a little more than three hours after a shooting at a Comfort Inn near the intersection of N.C. Highways 54 and 55 in Durham.
A 27-year-old woman called 911 to report the shooting, saying she had been shot in her left side and possible in one of her arms.
"I cannot move. I cannot move," the woman, who was breathing heavily, told the 911 dispatcher when asked to get a clean cloth to stanch the bleeding.
She said her two children were asleep in the room, and she tried to wake her son so he could open the door for police and paramedics.
"Please, please, please," she said to the dispatcher, asking for help as quickly as possible.
Police said that, after the shooting, Brown went home and called police.
He was charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, discharging a weapon into occupied property, simple possession of marijuana and two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with a minor present.
Durham County Assistant District Attorney Cindy Arevelo said in court Monday that Brown was convicted in 2001 and again in 2004 for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and that he had 10 failure to appear in court charges in other cases in recent years.
Judge Drew Marsh raised Brown's bond from $250,000 to $500,000 and ordered that, if he is released on bond, he stay away from the shooting victim and her two children.
The woman remains hospitalized in serious condition, but police said she is expected to survive.
Relatives are caring for the children, ages 4 and 7. Neither was hurt in the shooting.