Raleigh, N.C. — Seasonal beers offer the craft beer enthusiast a change-up from a brewery’s standard flagship beers. Seasonals are usually flavored or styled with inspiration from and meant to be enjoyed during a particular time of the year. When you drink it, it just feels right for that time of the year.
Big Boss Brewing recently had a beer showcase to introduce their different approach to seasonal craft beer. They created two series of beers that are similar in character yet very different in flavor and appropriate to the time of year they are released.
2014 Alpha Team Series
This series features beers that are “hop-centric.” If you’re looking for the great flavor of hops, you better check these out:
- The Centaur: A Belgian IPA that delivers floral hops and complements their Saison yeast that produces a refreshing hybrid of two classic styles. ABV: 7 percent. Available: March
- Night Knight: This Black IPA /American Dark Ale is a combination of bitter hops and dark roasty malts. ABV: 6.5 percent. Available: April-May
- War Hawk: This APA (American Pale Ale) is loaded with Cascade, Magnum and Amarillo hops that comes off crisp and thoroughly enjoyable during those hot summer months. ABV: 6.5 percent. Availability: June-July
- Local Girl: The name represents what went into this beer – hand picked, home grown hops from Big Boss' own property around the brewery. This is truly a Raleigh Pale Ale and unfortunately a very limited release. ABV: 5.5 percent. Availability: November
2014 Strategic Reserves Series
This series features the “big beers” with higher ABV’s.
- Big Operator: A bold dark ale infused with raspberry and cacao from Escazu chocolates. ABV: 8 percent. Availability: February
- Monkey Bizz-Ness: This beer features a recipe that is re-interpreted each season in the tradition of true Farmhouse ales, so each year is a different experience! ABV: 9 percent. Availability: March
- Aces & Ates: A stout for the winter months that is a collaboration with Larry’s Beans, a local coffee roaster. ABV: 8 percent. Availability: November/December
- Deuces Wild: A uniquely hopped Double IPA that features an intense palate full of pine and citrus notes ABV: 9 percent. Availability: December/January
Their final seasonal offering that stands alone and a huge hit during the fall season is Harvest Time Pumpkin Ale. This subtly spiced fall ale is brewed with real pumpkins and Big Boss’ own proprietary spice blend that makes it one of the best received pumpkin ales.
If you are looking for seasonal beers that dare to be different and are not inspired by the flavors and styles that usually pop up during up during a particular time of the year or holiday, give these Big Boss Alpha Team and Strategic Reserves series brews a try as they roll out around this year.
Dave Tollefsen and Glenn Cutler are regular guys living in central North Carolina with their families who share a love for craft beer and homebrewing. They work together as the NCBeerGuys. They can be found online at ncbeerguys.com promoting North Carolina craft beer, providing information about the folks who produce local beer and writing about beer adventures, activities and events across North Carolina.