Bicycle festival spins into Raleigh
Posted February 26, 2013
Updated March 1, 2013
Raleigh, N.C. — Oaks and Spokes, Raleigh's first bicycle festival, is a 10-day long celebration of the city's growing cycling community. There will be free, fun events every day for everyone from beginners to experienced cyclists.
The festival kicks off on First Friday with a bike ride around downtown and a bike-themed art show at Benelux Cafe. Here's a list of other Oaks and Spokes events:
- Saturday, March 2: The Triangle Tweed Ride, departing from Historic City Market, is a slow-paced and fun social ride. Wearing tweed is encouraged! There's an after-party at Humble Pie following the ride.
- Sunday, March 3: Catch a bike polo match at the Oak City Open or head over to the Frankenbike Part Swap to spice up your ride.
- Monday, March 4: Take the "green" route and ride over to Big Boss Brewing Company from the Capitol Building to watch a Bike-In Movie.
- Tuesday, March 5: Join Benelux Cafe's Social Ride group for a fun ride. The route is approximately 12 miles long and takes an hour...and $2 beers are waiting when you get back!
- Wednesday, March 6: Ride and do good in the community with the Bike & Build Event. Register ahead of time to bike to a Habitat for Humanity site and help build a house.
- Friday, March 8: Head to The Raleigh Times for two sporting events. Cheer on participants in Crank for a Cause while they pedal on stationary bikes to raise money for the American Diabetes Association or have some fun at the Velolympiad and try your hand at games like rickshaw racing.
- Saturday, March 9: Advocate for cyclist and pedestrian safety measures on the roads at the NC Ride to the Capitol event where you can meet with public officials and discuss changes.
- Sunday, March 10: Kidical Mass is a kid-friendly bike ride through Raleigh's Mordecai and Oakwood neighborhoods. Kids will learn bike safety and can have fun leading the way!
There are lots of fun things planned for Raleigh's inaugural bike festival, and there are plenty of opportunities to join in, no matter what your skill level.