When we want to know where to find best burgers in town, we go to our burger experts - the guys from The Straight Beef. They provide monthly burger reviews on Out & About and have a pretty awesome website devoted to their search for the best burgers.
Out & About has tackled the topic of best burgers before, but we focused more on "gourmet burgers." This time, it is all about the beef. So, without further ado check out The Straight Beef's Five Fave Best Burgers in the Triangle area. And unlike previous Five Faves, they rank them in particular order!
Each burger is rated on a scale of 1 to 5; an asterisk denotes a tie.
5. Johnson's (Siler City) - Average score: 4.50* - "Do yourself a favor, my friends. Go to Johnson’s soon. Get there early. Get that classic, humble, beautiful, delicious, American, quintessential cheeseburger and wash it down with a Pepsi. Savor the melted Velveeta. Then, drive among the pastures and fields along Highway 64. Get yourself one of these 4.5s and live the American dream. I implore you." - John
5. Barry's Cafe (Raleigh) - Average score: 4.50* - “Barry’s continues to get it right, with very nice American cheese, very fresh veggies, the very build order required, a very nice and traditional bun, and very nice attention to proportions and assembly to bring all of the very nice flavors together….This is a very, very, VERY good burger, people. Which is why I am resisting any urge to replace the word ‘very’ with ‘Barry,’ which would have been juvenile.” - John
4. Draft (Raleigh) - Average score: 4.58 - A haiku: The Blazin' Asian / Draft approaches perfection / Rating four point five - Michael
3. Buns (Chapel Hill) - Average score: 4.67 - “I suspected that the burger would be good, just not this good. Every bite of the exquisite Buns burger was a Dionysian commingling of flavors and juices that rang bells of delight through the hallowed annals of burgiatry, elevating me to a level of burgiatric pleasure seldom imagined. It was, simply, a celebration of life.” -Scott
2. Mojoe's Burger Joint (Raleigh) - Average score: 4.83 - “Wow. Yum. Man, that’s a good burger. Wow. Is this burger amazing, or is it just me? Yum num num. [Sigh.] Whew. Man, there’s just not a lot wrong with this burger. Yum num num. Yum num num num num. This has got to be a five. I mean, if this isn’t a great burger, what is? Yum.” Scott
1. Chuck's (Raleigh) - Average score: 5.00 - “Seekers on the path to enlightenment must pursue the Four Noble Truths. It can be very time-consuming. I suggest that those in search of enlightenment simply visit Chuck’s, where four other, easier, noble truths are posted on the menu: (1) half-pound 100% chuck, (2) house ground, (3) flat-top seared, (4) on a potato roll….This burger led this burgiatrist to true enlightenment.” - Michael
Did we miss your favorite burger joint? Tell us your picks in the comments section below.