Back to School: Six books for rising kindergartners
Posted August 12, 2013
When my older daughter, now a rising third grader, was entering kindergarten, we bought a bunch of books to ease the transition.
I'm pretty sure that I was more nervous about the whole move than she was. Perhaps that's why the book "The Night Before Kindergarten," by Natasha Wing, which tells the story of sobbing parents who are watching their kids have a fantastic time on the first day, resonated so much with both of us.
Project Enlightenment has a whole display of books to help kids with the move from home, day care or preschool to kindergarten. Here are a few of their recommended picks and descriptions. Check their online library for more recommendations for kids and parents.
1. Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes by Eric Litwin. Pete the cat moves, grooves, and sings while exploring the different parts of school.
2. Clifford's First Day of School, by Norman Bridwell. As a small puppy, Clifford the red dog goes to school with Emily Elizabeth and gets into mischievous trouble during the finger painting, cookie baking, and snack time.
3. Franklin Goes to School, by Paulette Bourgeois. On the first day of school, Franklin is a little nervous, but his teacher, Mr. Owl, knows just what to do.
4. Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten, by Joseph Slate. Introduces the letters of the alphabet as Miss Bindergarten and her students get ready for kindergarten. (This is another house favorite, which I am now reading to my three-year-old. The characters are all animals, who are introduced in alphabetical order.).
5. The Kissing Hand, by Audrey Penn. When Chester the raccoon is reluctant to go to kindergarten for the first time, his mother teaches him a secret way to carry her love with him. (Another house favorite. A sweet, sweet story).
6. Kindergarten, Here I Come, by Mary Alice Connors. Gives preschoolers a positive, realistic vision of kindergarten that boosts confidence and builds enthusiasm.
Check the box above for more back-to-school tips and posts.